Mets Notes(hat tip to yahoo and adam rubin):
- Santana looks to win a third consecutive start Wednesday night and help the Mets complete a three-game sweep of the hapless Washington Nationals.
- The Mets have provided SantanaÂ with 12 runs of support to help him win his last two starts. Thatâ€™s one more run than they managed in his first seven outings of the season, when he went 4-2 with a 0.78 ERA.
- The two-time Cy Young Award winner overcame three errors Friday, allowing three runs – two earned – and seven hits with eight strikeouts in seven innings of a 5-3 win at Boston.
- Lately, the Mets have been better defensively, winning three of their last four games without a miscue to match their longest streak of the season.
- New York has won 10 of the last 13 meetings with the Nationals, including five of six at home. However, the club hasnâ€™t swept them in a three-game series since April 15-17, 2008.
- Since joining the Mets in a five-player trade from Minnesota prior to the start of the 2008 season, Santana has won all four of his starts against the Nationals with a 2.33 ERA and 28 strikeouts in 27 innings. He beat them again on April 24, yielding one run and six hits while fanning 10 in six innings of a 4-3 victory at Citi Field
- Jerry Manuel said Omir Santos was in the original starting lineup, but was pulled because of a bruised shin, which he suffered Tuesday.
- Also, Manuel said he intends to do a platoon at first base, despite using Fernando Tatis on Tuesday against righthander Craig Stammen. The manager said he thought slumping Daniel Murphy needed a break. Tatis should return to first base on Friday, after an off-day, with the Marlins scheduled to throw a southpaw in the series opener.
- Manuel said infielder Wilson Valdez, acquired from Cleveland, should get his first Mets start Saturday in a day game, although he’s unsure whether it will come in place of Ramon Martinez or Luis Castillo.
- Alex Cora expects to have a three-game rehab assignment with Triple-A Buffalo this weekend, before being activated early next week, he tells the Daily News. Cora hopes to play a game apiece at second base, DH and shortstop. Meanwhile, Jose Reyes and Ryan Church should be headed to the Mets’ complex in Florida soon.
F. Martinez, rf
R. Martintez, ss
- The Nationals own the worst record in baseball, are have managed only three wins in 17 games since a season-high three-game winning streak May 7-9.
- The right-hander, who turned 23 Saturday, allowed two runs and six hits with seven strikeouts in seven innings, while the offense generated four hits in a 4-2, 12-inning loss to Baltimore on Friday.
- Despite that solid performance, Zimmermann is 0-1 with a 6.98 ERA in his last five starts after starting the season by winning his first two with a 2.38 ERA.
- One of his victories, though, came at New York on April 26, when he gave up one run and six hits in 5 1-3 innings of an 8-1 win
- A Florida man at the center of a massive steroid bust has told law enforcement officials that he sold performance-enhancing drugs to pro athletes, including those on the Washington Nationals and Washington Capitals.(Dont wanna start anything but this cant be good)
Yet another opportunity for the Mets to work on that killer instict. The Mets have swept both mini series (2 games) against the Braves and Phillies, they also have a 3 game sweep against the Pirates. With over 40 million dollars on the DL the Mets managed to put up 6 runs over the Nationals yesterday. Tonight the Nationals have to contend with the great Johan Santana (somebody give Manny Acta a Flask with the hard stuff). Good teams are able toÂ close the door and beat the teams they are supposed to beat. The Mets could not have selected a better guy to go out there to do just that. LGM!!