- After an unbeaten May, Hernandez will look to get off to a similarly hot start in June when the surging Mets open a four-game road set against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Monday night.
- New YorkÂ compiled a 4.46 staff ERA during a 9-12 April, but bettered that mark to a major leagues-best 3.34 in May, and went 19-9.
- Hernandez, who only locked up the Metsâ€™ fifth starter spot late in spring training, has been a major contributor to the turnaround. The veteran right-hander had a 6.75 ERA in four April starts but went 3-0 with a 2.70 ERA over five May outings, concluding with a complete game, six-strikeout effort Tuesday in a 6-1 win against Washington.
- One of those victories came May 10, when Hernandez and New York finished a three-game sweep of Pittsburgh. Hernandez allowed two runs in six innings to improve to 4-4 in his career against the Pirates.
- Regulars Carlos Delgado and Jose Reyes are out for New York. Fill-in Angel Pagan left Sundayâ€™s game with a groin injury and may also miss a few games.
- Hernandez threw his first nine-inning complete game since May 7 of last year, holding the Nationals to a lone run on nine hits in a 6-1 win Tuesday. Hernandez has started against the Pirates just twice in the past three seasons, with little success. He is 0-1 with a 6.30 ERA, allowing seven runs on 17 hits in 10 innings. Hernandez has also struggled mightily in June since 2006, compiling a 4-9 mark with a 6.73 ERA in 17 starts during the month — his highest ERA of any month during that stretch.
- Alex Cora has returned from three games at Triple-A Buffalo. He can’t be activated from the DL until Tuesday, so it’s likely the Mets will wait to put Angel Pagan on the DL until then.
- J.J. Putz reported for work early Monday at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. Joined by pitching coach Dan Warthen and bullpen coach Randy Niemann, Putz began throwing a bullpen session at 2:45 p.m. The struggling Putz has been issuing a lot of walks and hasn’t shown the same bite with his signature split-finger fastball. Jerry Manuel felt compelled to replace Putz in the eighth inning Sunday with Bobby Parnell. Parnell allowed an inherited runner to score but stranded the tying run at third base in the Mets’ 3-2 rubber-game win against the Marlins.
Luis Castillo, 2B
Fernando Martinez, RF
Daniel Murphy, 1B
Gary Sheffield, LF
David Wright, 3B
Jeremy Reed, CF
Wilson Valdez, SS
Brian Schneider, C
Livan Hernandez, P
- The Pirates have dropped four of five, scoring two or fewer runs in each contest. Nate McLouthâ€™s first-inning homer was all they could muster Sunday in a 2-1 loss to Houston. Pittsburgh has scored one run or been shut out 15 times this season.
- Snell is 0-2 with a 6.33 ERA in five starts against the Mets – all Pittsburgh losses.
- The last time the Pirates played the Mets, they got swept three straight to stretch their losing streak to a season-high eight games. On the other end of the spectrum were the Mets, who moved their winning streak to seven games with the sweep.
- Pittsburgh gave up 25 runs against the Mets from May 8-10, with the bullpen especially struggling. Pirates relievers combined to surrender 12 earned runs in seven innings on 18 hits. The relief corps allowed at least three runs in each outing.
- Snell has to be glad to see the calendar page turn to June after he finished May with an 0-3 record and a 7.50 ERA. He gave up at least three runs in each of his six starts in the month. Snell has been especially hurt by two-out hits all season. Of the 32 runs he’s allowed this year, 18 have come with two outs. Snell lost his May 10 start to the Mets — six innings, three earned runs, six hits and five strikeouts — a game in which Snell claimed New York was stealing the catcher’s signs.
- With Sunday’s loss, the Pirates fell to 1-21 this season when trailing after seven innings. … Pittsburgh has dropped four of its past five games. … The Pirates have just one win in 23 games when they are outhit by the opponent.
Nyjer Morgan, LF
Freddy Sanchez, 2B
Nate McLouth, CF
Adam Laroche, 1B
Eric Hiske, RF
Andy Laroche, 3B
Jason Jaramillo, C
Jack Wilson, SS
Ian Snell, P
Dont forget you can chat live in the Real Dirty Dugout!LGM!