So we have seen the Mets being swept by the Pirates and only manage 1 run versus the Nationals yesterday while letting up 7 so far in June. It doesnt get more ugly than that folks and i hesitate to think theres still over 100 games left. With no help in sight it seems coming from the front office, lets look at a few issues/facts that Jerry might be overlooking…or not looking at all since he doesnt like using stats ;p
- For the month of May, The Mets stole 38 bases. Over the past 7 days they have only stolen 4.
- For the month of May, The Mets hit .280. Over the past 7 days they have hit only .240 while using a different lineup each day.
- We are getting more production out of our #8 hitter(.291avg) than our #6 hitter(.203).
- We still have the 2nd bestÂ bullpen in the Majors(behind Boston)
- The Mets are playing with only a 81 million dollar payroll..down from their start of 146 million dollar payroll at the beginning of the year.
- As bad as the Mets look right now, they were 6.5 games out of first place last year and 1 game under .500
There have been several ideas from Met fans indicating what they think Omar should do to help the team out. They range from aquiring Big names to Stop gaps and some suggested Omar do nothing. Whatever the course of action is at this point, we need to get it done with what we have. We need to do the little things and have no room for error. They need to steal more, hit and run more and get those sac flys if they present themselves. In more qualified hands, the Mets can get by with what they have. Unfortunatly from what I have seen from Jerry, he is just as inconsistant as the team. If the Mets win it will be inspite of Manuel, not because of him. By the way, the Mets payroll as of today puts them right in the middle of the 2000 and 2001 opening day payrolls. LGM!