- Pelfrey had an outing similar to his last one in everything but the end result in a 10-6 loss to the Rays on Sunday. Pelfrey again cruised through the early innings before hitting trouble later. Pelfrey allowed five straight hits to start the fifth inning — four of whom scored. Pelfrey finished the day allowing eight hits and those four runs, striking out four in five innings. It’s almost exactly the same line he posted in his only career start against the Yankees, when he gave up four runs and eight hits in five innings during a 15-6 Mets win last June 27.
- â€œHe keep hitting, he keep playing,â€ Mets manager Jerry Manuel said of Evans.
- The Yankees spent $161 million on Sabathia (6-4, 3.71 ERA) in the offseason, and the left-hander has been in a groove, going 5-1 with a 3.00 ERA in his last nine starts. Sabathia, though, left Sundayâ€™s outing at Florida after 1 1-3 innings with a strained left biceps. While he said the ailment was â€œnothing major,â€ there had been concerns about whether or not heâ€™d be able to make Fridayâ€™s start.
- The Yankees may be more excited by Alex Rodriguezâ€™s resurgence. Coming off hip surgery and a steroid controversy, the slumping superstar had been hitting .207 after Tuesdayâ€™s 4-0 loss. Rodriguez, however, drove in two runs in an 8-4 win Wednesday and was 3 for 5 with a home run and four RBIs on Thursday. He has nine home runs and 19 RBIs in his last 15 games against the Mets and is tied with Reggie Jackson for 11th on the all-time home run list with 563.
- Yankees closer Mariano Rivera is also close to a milestone, needing one more save to join Trevor Hoffman as the only players with 500.
Dont forget you can chat live in the Real Dirty Dugout! LGM!