- Hernandez has only suffered two losses this season, but both have come at the bats of the Cardinals. Hernandez wasn’t knocked around last time, giving up just three runs-two earned-on eight hits in seven innings. He simply couldn’t match Joel Pineiro, who spun a two-hit shutout. Hernandez is 0-3 with a 6.94 ERA in six career starts against the Yankees. That includes an effort earlier this month, when he received a no-decision after allowing six runs on seven hits in 5 1/3 innings. He did surrender home runs to Robinson Cano, Mark Teixeira and Derek Jeter in the Yankees’ 9-8 win.
- The Mets are without injured center fielder Carlos Beltran, shortstop Jose Reyes and first baseman Carlos Delgado. They are in danger of falling to .500 for the first time since May 6.
- With a lineup featuring the likes of Argenis Reyes and Jeremy Reed, the Mets are 9 for 87 (.103) in the past three games. They have seven singles, a two-run double by Nick Evans and a solo homer by Gary Sheffield during that span.
- â€œThe fact that we are depleted – and I think guys are trying – we just lack a few things right now,â€ Mets manager Jerry Manuel said. â€œWhat we have to do is, weâ€™ll just have to catch a break. We have to catch somebody on a bad day at this point. But thatâ€™s where we are.â€
- Mets starter Livan Hernandez has never beaten the Yankees, going 0-3 with a 6.94 ERA in six outings. He did not receive a decision June 12 in the Bronx when he gave up six runs over 5 1-3 innings in a 9-8 loss. That outing started a three-game losing streak for the Mets with the veteran right-hander on the mound. He is 0-2 with a 4.66 ERA in that span after yielding three runs over seven innings Tuesday in a 3-0 loss to St. Louis.
- The New York Yankees have dominated the New York Mets this weekend, even without captain Derek Jeter.The Yankees hope to have Jeter back in the lineup Sunday night when they try to complete a three-game Subway Series sweep of the Mets at Citi Field. Jeter has sat out the first two games of this series with the flu, and Johnny Damon missed Saturdayâ€™s 5-0 victory that stretched the winning streak for the Yankees (42-32) to four games. Manager Joe Girardi indicated that a flu bug had gone around his team.
- â€œThatâ€™s on him, man. I told him I could play. Thatâ€™s all his decision,â€ Jeter said about missing Saturdayâ€™s game. Jeter turned 35 on Friday, and is hitting .386 in interleague play this year.
- The Yankees havenâ€™t needed the star shortstop against their depleted crosstown rivals. The Mets (37-36) have been outscored 14-1 and outhit 22-4 in the first two games of the weekend series, and are 1-4 against the Yankees in 2009.
- The Yankees will go for the sweep behind Chien-Ming Wang, who they feel is pitching better as he tries again for his first win of the season. Wang returned to the rotation June 4 after a short stint in the bullpen, and is 0-3 with a 7.27 ERA in his last four starts. He has given up three runs in a season-high five innings in each of his last two outings, however, including a 4-0 loss at Atlanta on Tuesday. The right-hander is 1-1 with a 4.96 ERA in two career starts versus the Mets.
- Rodriguez has enjoyed plenty of success against Hernandez, going 11 for 19 with three homers and 10 RBIs. Jeter is 8 for 19 while Mark Teixeira is 3 for 6 with two homers and three RBIs.
Dont forget you can chat live in the Real Dirty Dugout! LGM!