- Pelfrey survived his all-too-common one bad inning in his victory against the Reds Sunday. He had four 1-2-3 innings, one in which he allowed two hits and one in which the Reds scored three times on five hits, a walk and a balk. The Mets have lost five of his eight most recent starts. He had a seven-inning no-decision against the Braves at Citi Field on May 12. He allowed two runs in the 4-3 victory. Before this season, he had produced a 2-3 record and 5.55 ERA in seven games — six starts — and 37 1/3 innings against the Braves. Brian McCann has a .400 average in 20 at-bats against Pelfrey. Chipper Jones has two home runs and a .308 average in 13 at-bats against the Mets starter.
- New York manager Jerry Manuel, though, let Pelfrey continue. The right-hander responded by setting the Reds down in order in the sixth and seventh. â€œI think that was huge,â€ Pelfrey said. â€œAs a pitcher you want to be left out there to work out of some tough situations, and he showed the faith in me to be able to do that.â€ Braves third baseman Chipper Jones is 4 for 13 with two homers lifetime against Pelfrey. Jones, batting .330 in his career versus the Mets, had the go-ahead RBI single in the seventh inning Thursday as Atlanta (44-45) opened its eight-game homestand with a 5-3 victory over New York.
- Jurrjens faces the Mets (42-46), who have lost four straight on the road, for the second time this season. In a 4-3, 10-inning loss at Citi Field on May 12, he surrendered two runs and seven hits in 7 2-3 innings.
- Despite having one of the NLâ€™s best ERAs, Jurrjens (7-7, 2.91 ERA) has won just two of his last eight starts. The Braves are averaging 3.4 runs during these outings.
- â€œHe could easily have 12 or 13 wins, thatâ€™s how good he has been pitching all season long,â€ said Braves All-Star catcher Brian McCann. â€œWe just really havenâ€™t been scoring for him.â€ Jurrjens allowed two runs and five hits over six innings of Saturdayâ€™s 4-3 win at Colorado, and he had his first career multihit game, including an RBI single in the second.