So I guess by now you are all aware of the Jaw-Dropping news that came down last night regarding Carlos Beltran. In case you didn’t know I thought you might like a time-line so to speak on how it all came down.
1. Matt Cerrone tweets this little diddy which seems to suggest he has a inside scoop about something to come.
“You might want to keep a close eye on MetsBlog.com tonight, as things are about to get interesting.”
2. Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus soon follows MC’s tweet with this.
“Big news pending for mets. Doesn’t sound good.”
3. M.C. then posts at 8:34pm on his blog the news about Carroll’s tweet and adds
“â€¦oh, man, and pitchers and catchers is just five weeks awayâ€¦ whatâ€™s up, willâ€¦”
4. Joel Sherman is the 1st to tweet he is trying to confirm rumors that Beltran had micro-fracture knee surgery.
“Trying to get 2d confirmation, but hear that Beltran had microfracture knee surgery today without #Mets permission”
5. Minutes later Jon Heyman tweets the following.
“heard beltran had knee surgery today. expected to need 8 weeks rehab. may miss start of year.”
6. Joel Sherman minutes after tweets the following tweets.
1st. “2d source is describing this as “scope clean up” for beltran. but #Mets are acting like this was more than routine”
2nd. “another source insists it was not microfracture surgery, but standard scope and Mets team phys Altchek and #Mets were OK on this”
7. 9:55pm The New York Mets release this statement.
“Mets centerfielder Carlos Beltran had worsening of osteoarthritis of the right knee during the offseason. He had not been experiencing pain following the conclusion of the season and into his early offseason conditioning. The symptoms returned to the point where pre-spring training conditioning became too painful.
He elected to undergo arthroscopic clean out of the arthritic area of his knee by Beltran’s personal physician Dr. Richard Steadman today in Colorado. He is anticipated to return to baseball activities in 12 weeks. “
8. 10:00pm Geico Sportsnight on SNY leads with the “Breaking News” and Kevin Burkhardt adds that according to someone he knows
“He (Beltran) did this without permission of the New York Mets which is, not good.”
9. Kevin Burkhardt having finished his SNY segment tweets.
“As I said on #Sportsnite at the top of the hour, Beltran did this surgery on his own. Mets will hold a conference call tomorrow #bigtrouble”
10. Joel Sherman then tweets.
“#Mets are definitely claiming Beltran procedure done without their blessing, and are threatening some form of action”
11. 10:26pm In an article written by Anthony Mccarron of the New York Daily News he writes the following.
“Beltran’s agent, Scott Boras, seems to anticipate trouble. Wednesday night, Boras announced that the guarantee language in Beltran’s contract requires advance written permission only for elective operations.
“This was necessary surgery, necessary surgery to work,” Boras told The Associated Press.”
12. 11:00pm In an article written by Joel Sherman for the New York Post he adds.
“A person familiar with the situation told the Post that the Commissioners Office and the Players Association have been alerted that â€œthe Mets are claiming this was done without clearance and that the Mets are threatening to take some form of action. There is a potential issue out there.â€
With that you are pretty much up to speed on how the evening went. What is yet to come I will leave our other Authors to post that information. It’s 3:30am and I need my sleep.