â€œThereâ€™s no question thatÂ the Phillies areÂ a great team.Â They have, I think, arguably one of the best offenses in baseball, theyâ€™ve upgraded their starting pitching, and they play like winners.Â They play like they expect to win.Â So no one ever said itâ€™s going to be easy, but we have to find a way to de-throne those guysâ€¦ and itâ€™s not just the Phillies.Â I think the Braves have made some good additions. Â I think the Nationals have had a tremendous offseason with some of the signings theyâ€™ve had.Â And then youâ€™ve got the Marlins, who go out there and play that loose, dangerous style of baseball. Â I think weâ€™re in one of the best divisions in baseball, but I donâ€™t think, by any means, should anybody be counting us out before spring training starts.â€ -David Wright
And people wonder why this kid is the face of the franchise. David has been putting out the best PR for the Mets this off season and I think he is poised for a big season. Ialso think with a year under their belt playing at Citi, the Mets can now treat this place as a “home field advantage”. I also think pundits and overly pessimistic Met fans truly underestimate the impact a guy like Jason Bay and a returning star like Jose Reyes do to a team. I can understand being jaded from the 09 season but ladies and gents…we have a hellova team for 2010.
As David already said, the improvements made by the other NL east teams have to be taken into consideration as they all have gotten better. That being said, the Mets also have improved and gotten better…even if some of that improvement comes from returning health. In my opinion the biggest improvement of all is the fact that the Mets are no longer the favorites to win anything. I know David and Johan play it down significantly but what has made teams like the Marlins so dangerous is the “underdog” perception.
While your waiting on you turn here at the barbershop, lets get so to some real Mets talk
1. Reyes will have a better season than Jimmy Rollins.
2. Johan will throw a no hitter. Hes just got that look man…its on
3. Oliver Perez will emerge as our #2 pitcher.
4. Krod will continue to give us gray hairs…but will get the job done. He will finish with over 40 saves and get into a on field brawl…
5. David Wright will hit 40 home runs. When you look like this at spring training….
Your either getting a gig at Chip & Dales or your going to hit 40 home runs…maybe in David’s case he might do both.
6. Jeff Francoeur will make the difference in getting this team to the offseason. Check this article out to see why.
7.Â Murphy will grow out a stache in honor of his mentor and will make another highlight play at 1b
8. The Mets will retire Mike Piazza’s number
9. Jerry Manuel will make 1 really shrewd play to win a game
And last but not least..
10. Citi field will erect a statue in honor of GKR
So there ya have it, a couple of statements for this upcoming year. Even if half this stuff doesnt comes to pass, it should be a very exciting year…LGM!