Update – 6:48pm:
Wednesday April 14th – Mets Manager Jerry Manuel talked about
a tough start to the season and his hope that it turns
Audio courtesy of WFAN.com
Original Post – 5:00pm:
Jerry Manuel will be on Mike Francesa at 5:05pm to give this weeks State Of The Mets.
You can listen to it here
Highlights of interview courtesy ofÂ Metsfan4decades
- MF: It seemed like Sunday, it went all fell apart. Canâ€™t handle when Santana get it.
- Jerry: Might be right to some degree. But donâ€™t think you can put those two things together. Frustrated me b/c it was an good opportunity to pick him up for all heâ€™s done for us and we didnâ€™t do it.
- MF: your comments got so much play – unprepared 6 games into the season. Youâ€™re one of the guys with a bulls eye on your back. This team needs a fast start.
- Jerry: we need to sort it out very quickly. We thought coming out of ST we had some things in place to make a good start. We still feel we have the right people in the right place to get it done.
- MF: 3 mistakes that were made one mine, one Jerryâ€™s, one Omarâ€™s:
- Mine: You were right to bat Reyes third, I was wrong about that.
- Jerryâ€™s mistake: I would have played Pagan everyday. You went with GMJ and he let you down.
- Jerry: Youâ€™re right (wow). I was looking at experience and a little more power and I was wrong.
- Omar: When Murph got hurt, he should have brought up Ike Davis. You guys are missing the boat on this.
- Jerry admitting Castillo is frustrated right now.
- Jerry said he will switch Reyes to 3rd – possibility in St. Louis.
- Concerning Maine: He will get his next start.
- MF: Why is Mejia here – doesnâ€™t he need to go back to the minors?
- Jerry: No. Heâ€™s getting work, gaining confidence. We feel confident now we can use him as a bridge guy – if the matchup is good.
- MF: Did you like Nieseâ€™s first start? How about Pelf?
- Jerry: both were positive. BP for the most part is O.K. but donâ€™t want to evaluate in a losing situation. Want to see them when the game is on the line.
- MF: It seems like the team is carrying all the ugliness into this year from last year. Fans, media, everyone feels it. How do you get rid of that.
- Jerry: We have to win games and play within the spirit that we played before Sunday. If we get good performances, this perception will go away. If we get another bad performance from a starter, this all will come back.
- MF: Do you feel that everyone is pressing b/c of last year?
- Jerry: To a man, theyâ€™re committed to trying to erase last year. Is there pressure to do that? Possible so. I like the way the team is going about it, there is no finger pointing or any of that. Trying to play good baseball for ownership and fans.
- MF: Youâ€™re job is on the line. You know that. That has to make it tough on you.
- Jerry: Yes. That bulls eye is there but my back is not that big. (laugh, laugh, laugh).
- MF: Good to see the sense of humor. But it seems like nothing ever goes right for this team.
- Jerry: We havenâ€™t been catching a break but this will even out. As passionate as this team is and itâ€™s fans, it will happen. We have to remain positive about our chances. I see us as a much better team than last year. We will be a team to be reckoned with. I really believe that.
- MF: youâ€™d better show it soon.
- MF: Team has looked flat with this losing but I think there are a couple of guys have gotten a negative feel now for this team. Castillo and Tatis for instance. Team needs a lift, a spark.
- MF: anything special over the next two days you have planned?
- Jerry: no. Trying to make sure we get the pitching right and players remain positive. As is we as the staff. We know in NY itâ€™s difficult but the rewards will be great.
- MF: Do you still have faith in Jacobsâ€™?
- Jerry: â€˜I feel good heâ€™s a guy who can pop a ball for usâ€™. Right now, his timing is off.
- MF: Do you feel good about this team or are you worried.
- Jerry: Itâ€™s all on the starting pitching. I feel good about our chances if the pitching steps up. These guys are a very good group of guys.
- MF: Referencing Frenchyâ€™s comment of being â€˜flatâ€™ on Sunday.
- Jerry agreed Livan â€˜flattened us outâ€™, thatâ€™s for sure. but weâ€™ll make the adjustments.