It’s no secret, David Wright is struggling.Â He’s striking out a ton and has left the population of a small town on base.Â His at bats have beenÂ painful to watch at times.Â I love him in the field, but I’m not confident when he has the bat in his hands.Â Now granted, we are still in April but this trend seems to have continued from last year.Â I’m trying to put my finger on itÂ so I came up withÂ several explanations…hey IÂ could be wrong but Â you tell me!
1. David is still feeling the affects of last years Beaning.Â He won’t dig in.
2. He’s still pressing, especially with men on base.Â I don’t know why because now heÂ actually has healthy hitters around him but I couldÂ swear I see the saw dust being squeezed out of the bat when he’s standing in the box
3. Maybe, just maybe- he isn’t that good toÂ begin with.Â He might have comeÂ down toÂ earth after theÂ his first three seasons.Â I really hope I’m wrong on this oneÂ
4. David is tryingÂ to be something he’s not….like a home run hitter.Â That home run derby did it to him years ago.Â He hasn’t been the same since.
5.Â Citi Field is in his head.Â I really don’t think so.
6. It’s too early yet, it’s just a slump.Â I really hope so.Â
Now let me pose another question:Â Whose job is it to fixÂ Wright?Â In my opinion, it must be Howard Johnson.Â He is the Hitting Coach right?Â If he can’t, what is he doing in the dugout?Â I think no matter what excuse you can come up with that either I listed above OR you come up with at home it is the job of the Hitting Coach to find out what it is and FIX IT!Â If Hojo can’tÂ find the flawÂ in Wright’s swing or stanceÂ than the question created is: Has Â Howard Johnson lost his ability to coach in the Majors?Â Â
If you think I’m wrong, what do you thinkÂ the problem isÂ with DavidÂ Wright and what do you think can help him?