10 Days ago I wrote this article: Getting Past Your Past
The premise of the article was what would it take to get fans to move on from 2007-2009.Â “2010 is a new season that has already been a roller coaster ride. “Â Now we are currently trying to match the season’s best winning streak with a losing streak.Â Last night in the midst of everything going wrong again you had flashbacks of last year when right after a freak play Niese comes up lame and has a hamstring injury.Â These are the times that try Mets fans souls.Â I want to forget about the last 3 years.Â In fact I say that I have every chance I get.Â However, it appears I have not forgotten but forgiven.Â I have moved on but that does not mean that theÂ past will not haunt me each time something like this happens.
As a Mets fans we will always remember every heartbreak.Â It’s just you hope for some incredible moment for you to hang on too.Â 1986 gave us something to hold on to for more than a decade.Â 2000 gave us something to hang on to for a while and even 2006 gave us something to hang on to in the depths of a collapse.Â What we need now is hope.Â Not an 8 game winning streak but something we can latch on to and say dammit things are bad but we are the Mets.Â In some ways that is starting with the development of guys like Davis and Mejia in other ways its hard to have hope because the Mets seem to be willing to trot out what doesn’t work in guys like GMJR and Jerry and the boys.
So today with Omar making an unscheduled trip “for support”, isn’t it time that the Mets gave us a little more to hold on to?Â A thought in the back of our mind that they are getting this right and just hold on?Â Come on Mets do the right thing.
By the way for humor purposes I will re-post the list developed by two of our great readers:
Two of our valued readers, njstuckintx and stickguy have provided Mets fans the very 12 step process need to get you past your past.
- Sit back, have a beer and relax.
- Consider getting laid, that makes everything better.
- Realize this is a game to be enjoyed and if you arenâ€™t enjoying it, consider other activities.
- Even the hated Yankees do not win every game, every series, every post season. To think all games are to be won it ludacrisp, as Iron Mike would say
- Stop listening to Mike Fatty or Big Head Kay. Just stop. Pod cast the Schmooz or just loop the â€œMeet the Metsâ€ song over and over.
- Go have a game of Catch with your kid/brother/sister/buddy and realize why you love the game again.
- Get baseball package, watch just games involving the Pirates, Astros, Nats, Oriolesâ€¦ Youâ€™ll appreciate what you have.
- Watch your DVD collection of the 1986 playoffs, and remember what can happen, and what keeps you coming back.
- Go play with your dog. That cures all emotional ills. If you donâ€™t have one, go get one from the shelter. Actually, get 2, they have plenty.
- Get out your Jerry Voodoo doll and stick pins in it. Always good for hours of good, clean fun.
- Be glad you donâ€™t actually have to work for a living, so that you have time to hang out here most of the day.
- Be glad you were not cursed to have become a soulless Yankee fan.
- (A bakerâ€™s dozen). Go back to 1, and have more beers. Hey, canâ€™t hurt!