If you haven’t noticed lately all has been quiet of late in Metsville. Yes there was the Holiday party this past Tuesday and the coat drive on Wednesday. But aside from that there has been very little in terms of either transactions or rumors of potential acquisitions.
Face it as a whole we Mets fans are a restless bunch. We bellyache when a player we have targeted signs with another team. Hell we get upset when a scrub player that we either don’t want or don’t need signs else where.
So in honor of all of us Mets fans out there – sane and insane alike , I give to you…
THE TOP TEN SONGS THAT BEST DESCRIBE THE OFFSEASON ( so far) !!
10. Had To Cry Today - Blind Faith . It kinda describes of I felt after hearing about Cliff Lee re-signing with the Phillies
09. Watching , Waiting- Extreme. This is what all of us Mets fans are doing right now.
08. All Revved Up With No Place To Go – Meatloaf . This is for all of us that wishes the season was already here.
07. Grand Designs - Rush . This is for all of us that believes in Sandy Alderson’s vision of the franchise.
06.The Prisoner – Iron Maiden, Since Sandy is restricted by limited available funds to spend
05. Standing In The Shadows – Whitesnake. Since all the prognosticators see the Mets as a afterthought in the National League East.
04. Anesthesia ( Pulling Teeth) – Metallica. This off-season is so slow it makes Mo Vaughn look like Jose Reyes !
03. Dazed and Confuzed - Led Zeppelin. Can someone please tell me how much money the Mets have to spend !!??!!
02. The Waiting Is The Hardest Part -Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers . Because it is always hardest to wait patiently .
And the number one song that best describes this Mets off season – Hope by The Mahavishnu Orchestra !!! Because deep down inside , YOU ALWAYS NEED HOPE !!!
And with that said… HERE COMES THE INFAMY !!!!
Mets alumni celebrating a birthday today are :
One of the most overlooked pitchers in Mets history, Bob Ojeda is 53 (1957) . It is great to see him back with the Mets as a in studio analyst. His direct, blunt criticism of the past two season has been refreshing.
Middle reliever from the ’03 season, Edwin Almonte is 34 (1976) . He was involved in the trade that sent Roberto Alomar from the Mets to the Chicago White Sox.
New York Mets traded reliever, Roger Mason and minor league pitcher, Mike Freitas to the San Diego Padres for middle reliever, Mike ” Brother of Greg” Maddux on December 17, 1992.
New York Mets signed free agent pitcher, Jae Seo on December 17, 1997. He showed flashes of brilliance when he finally reached the big team in ’02. But he was gone bu the middle of the ’05 season.
New York Mets signed free agent first baseman,Todd Zeile of the Texas Rangers on December 17, 1999. I am on the record as saying that I was less than enamoured when the Mets had signed him. I wanted John Olerud – the best Mets first baseman since Keith Hernandez to be retained, and Zeile just seemed like a cut below.
Tampa Bay Devil Rays signed reserve first baseman, Brian Buchanan of the New York Mets as a free agent on December 17, 2004.
Los Angeles Dodgers signed utility infielder, Angel Berroa of the New York Mets as a free agent on December 17, 2009.
And while you sit at home preparing yourself for the Jennifer Lopez movie marathon – featuring “Gilli”, just remember there are just 105 days until the Mets open the 2011 season against the Florida Marlins in Miami and 112 days until the Mets 2011 home opener against the Washington Nationals at Citi Field.
Mo Vaughn’s favorite sone right now is ” The Weight” by The Band