Terry Collins took some time out of his busy schedule tonight to speak on a conference call to a group of Mets bloggers. Here are some of the answers to the questions he was asked.
1. Utilizes video tape for defense as well as offense to reinforce positive techniques
2. He sees Pedro Beato as a reliever and Beato wants to be a closer one day. He went on to say that if Pedro pitched like the way he did early last season he is more than likely to make the team
3. The Mets didn’t run the bases that well and they have to improve that to succeed. That is the major focus for them this Spring.
4. He feels that communication is a 2 way street and he stresses new players to let him know what they are comfortable with.
5. Their sacrifice bunting – especially from the pitchers was not good enough – wants to see a significant improvement. He is not looking to play small ball – he is looking to get base runners in scoring position.
6. He stresses that he is not mad at Ruben Tejada not showing up early to Spring Training – but he feels that Tejada needs to know how important for him to be there and show a positive work ethic.
7. He had no input of the walls being brought in at Citi Field, Terry feels that the walls coming in should breed confidence among the Mets hitters. He also feels that Lucas Duda should be able to play a decent right field now that the walls have been pulled in.
8. Matt Harvey is everything we have read about – he sees life on both his fastballs. He hopes he doesn’t have to bring him up this season because if Harvey does come up it is because a pitcher was injured.
9. He was not happy with the execution of plays last year – but he was happy with the effort he saw. He wants players to conserve their energy – i.e cut their bullpens back if need be.
I hope to get a full transcript of the conference call up by tomorrow.