The Mets beat the Padres 9-0 at Citi Field this afternoon.
Why the Mets won:
Johan Santana was amazing. He tossed nine scoreless innings and only allowed four hits in total. He also struck out seven and didn’t walk a batter. And he did all of this on just 96 pitches. The Padres had no chance today with Johan on the mound.
Why the Padres lost:
Clayton Richard gave up two early homers in the first inning that probably cost the Padres a shot at winning the game. (They had no shot with Johan pitching, anyway)
- Wow, Johan. He is just incredible. Few people outside the Mets fanbase still consider him an ace, but he definitely is still an ace, without question.
- Scott Hairston had a nice game, going 2-3 with a three-run home run in the first inning. Hairston is a valuable piece to have on the bench with the power that he has.
- Ronny Cedeno left the game in the ninth inning with a leg injury. After the game, Terry Collins said it was just a cramp. Looks like it’s nothing to worry about, if you would even be worried about losing Cedeno.
- Mike Nickeas hit a grand slam in the ninth inning to blow the game open. I still think he’s a terrible hitter.
- The Mets are only two games out of first place!