The Braves defeated the Mets 8-7 today at Turner Field.
Why the Braves won:
The Braves put together a string of three consecutive RBI-singles in the eighth inning to take the 8-7 lead. With Craig Kimbrel on the mound in the ninth, it was over…
Why the Mets lost:
On a day when R.A. Dickey was off, the bullpen had to step up. They didn’t.
- The bullpen is so important, especially on a team built like this. Let’s face it: the Mets offense doesn’t have a big power threat. Sure, we have Ike Davis in the cleanup spot, but is he really a 35-40 home run guy? I don’t think so. That means the bullpen has to be able to hold a lead late because that may be their only chance. We aren’t the Yankees, you know?
- Dickey was off again. I’m a little concerned. Not for his health, though. He’s had a few so-so outings in a row and doesn’t look like the same pitcher that pitched two straight one-hitters. That’s the knuckleball I guess…
- Ike Davis had another big game, going 2-4 with a home run and a walk, raising his batting average to .207 on the year.
- Jordany Valdespin is on a nice little roll. He had two more hits today and drove in his 15th run of the season.
- Bobby Parnell entered the game with men on first and second with one out, struck out a batter, and then allowed three RBI-singles…. not pretty….