Apparently their is a growing trend of MLB teams not having just one hitting coach but rather two, a hitting coach and an assistant hitting coach. The Royals earlier today announced the naming of Jack Maloof the new hitting coach and Andre David as their assistant hitting coach. In the announcement it describes the assistant as generally working with players before the game, but observing the game from the stands because of a limit on coaches in the dugout.
There are currently 5 MLB teams that list an assistant hitting coach among their staff.
- Kansas City Royals – Andre David / Assistant Hitting Coach
- Philadelphia Phillies – Wally Joyner / Assistant Hitting Coach
- St. Louis Cardinals – John Mabry / Assistant Hitting Coach
- San Diego Padres – Alonzo Powell / Assistant Hitting Coach
- San Francisco Giants – Joe Lefebvre / Assistant Hitting Coach
There is one team that lists an assistant pitching coach.
- Cincinnati Reds – Mack Jenkins / Assistant Pitching Coach