Today’s “According To Sources” is brought to you courtesy of Andy Martino of the NY Daily News. Martino reports that according to one high-ranking major league executive he came away thinking that the Mets “would want a monster package for (R.A.) Dickey, and if they don’t get it, probably would not trade him.” after recently speaking with Mets officials. He loosely defined the “monster package” as a few high-end prospects or major leaguers.
According To Sources History
- 10/6/2012 – it’s conceivable Wright and Dickey will have new deals in place, at least in principle, by the time the World Series begins later this month.
- 10/9/2012 – The Mets are expected to open negotiations with an offer for somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 million for star third baseman David Wright.
- 10/10/2012 – David Wright’s camp intends to milk talks and draw things out until at least after the World Series, in hopes of reaching a better compromise at the last minute.
- 10/13/2012 – Mets could schedule a meeting and begin formal contract negotiations next week & it’s too early to tell if it’s still possible for either player to be signed this month.
- 10/25/2012 – Contract negotiations between the Mets and Wright & Dickey remain very preliminary and have not advanced to the point of talking years or dollars and they are still talking about when to really get talking.
- 11/6/2012 – The Mets are “not close” to a resolution with either Wright or Dickey.
- 11/7/2012 – Discussions regarding Dickey’s contract extension could see “a resolution before the month ends”.
- 11/8/2012 – Mets are not expressing the same optimism with R.A. Dickey in regards to “progressing, albeit slowly, in completing a long-term extension”.
- 11/8/2012 – Mets are “showing little interest in signing Dickey to extension” and are “discussing him in trades”.
- 11/9/2012 – Speculation that Dickey wanted a Oliver Perez type deal is “completely incorrect” and that a decision to sign or trade Dickey after the NL Cy Young winner is announced could be resolved pretty quickly”.
- 11/13/2012 – Mets made Wright an offer and Wright’s people have made a counter offer.
- 11/17/2012 – Mets plan to offer Dickey a two-year contract extension & if Dickey agrees to a 2 year extension he wants more than $10 million a year.
- 11/19/2012 – Mets “would want a monster package for (R.A.) Dickey, and if they don’t get it, probably would not trade him.”