Today's "According To Sources" comes courtesy of Jon Heyman of CBS Sports and Andy Martino of the New York Daily News. Heyman writes
that sources indicate at least a couple teams have offered one elite prospect for Dickey, but the Mets are looking for multiple players back in a package. Martino writes
that Met sources said the Mets are in the process of increasing its offer to R.A. Dickey to approximately three years, $25 million. Which breaks down to a 2-year contract extension at about $10 million per season, in addition to the $5 million Dickey is due to make in 2013.According To Sources History
- 10/6/2012 - it’s conceivable Dickey will have a new deal in place, at least in principle, by the time the World Series begins later this month.
- 10/25/2012 - Contract negotiations between the Mets and Dickey remain very preliminary and have not advanced to the point of talking years or dollars and they are still talking about when to really get talking.
- 11/6/2012 - The Mets are “not close” to a resolution with Dickey.
- 11/7/2012 - Discussions regarding Dickey's contract extension could see "a resolution before the month ends".
- 11/8/2012 - Mets are not expressing the same optimism with R.A. Dickey in regards to "progressing, albeit slowly, in completing a long-term extension".
- 11/8/2012 - Mets are "showing little interest in signing Dickey to extension" and are "discussing him in trades".
- 11/9/2012 - Speculation that Dickey wanted a Oliver Perez type deal is “completely incorrect” and that a decision to sign or trade Dickey after the NL Cy Young winner is announced could be resolved pretty quickly".
- 11/17/2012 - Mets plan to offer Dickey a two-year contract extension & if Dickey agrees to a 2 year extension he wants more than $10 million a year.
- 11/19/2012 - Mets “would want a monster package for (R.A.) Dickey, and if they don’t get it, probably would not trade him.”
- 11/20/2012 - At least one team official is “not sure” if Dickey agreeing to an extension is any guarantee he will not be traded this Winter.
- 11/27/2012 - Mets making little progress in signing Dickey to an extension.
- 11/28/2012 - If R.A. Dickey is signed to an extension it would "almost definitely” eliminate the possibility he is traded this off season.
- 11/30/2012 - Dickey would be content with a two-year extension on top of the existing $5 million owed in 2013.
- 12/1/2012 - Mets increased their offer to R.A. Dickey, but it's unclear whether it's close enough to what Dickey seeks in a two-year deal.
- 12/2/2012 - Regarding the Dickey negotiations both sides aren't even close to a deal.
- 12/2/2012 - Texas Rangers are interested in trading for Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey.
- 12/3/2012 - Sources say Mets have gotten "serious" about trading R.A. Dickey as soon as this week.
- 12/3/2012 - Source says The Red Sox met with Mets to talk about possible trade for R.A. Dickey. Mets want Bogaerts and Bradley, Jr.
- 12/3/2012 - Source says the Dodgers have talked to the Mets about a trade for R.A. Dickey.
- 12/3/2012 - Source says Red Sox met with Mets and discussed the possibility of a trade involving R.A. Dickey. Mets looking for top Red Sox prospects Jackie Bradley, Jr., and shortstop Xander Boegarts.
- 12/4/2012 - Source says Mets have talked to at least eight teams (Royals, Orioles, Rangers, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Nationals) regarding a possible trade for R.A. Dickey
- 12/4/2012 - Source says Mets could get speedy SS Dee Gordon and top pitching prospect Zach Lee from Dodgers for Dickey.
- 12/9/2012 - Source says Texas expressed willingness to Mets to move Olt for Dickey but will take more than just Olt for Mets to move Dickey.
- 12/9/2012 - Source says dialogue between camps has resumed with modest "progress" toward Dickey extension since end of winter meetings.
- 12/11/2012 - A couple teams have offered one elite prospect for Dickey but Mets are holding out for multiple players back in a package.
- 12/11/2012 - Mets in the process of increasing offer to R.A. Dickey to 3 years $25M.