According to Mike Pignataro of NY Baseball Digest:
Yesterday, the Mets had a scout in attendance at the Dodgers-Reds game scouting Reds RHP Bronson Arroyo. According to a source, the Mets have interest in Arroyo at this time. The source believes Arroyo would be a good fit for the Mets and Citi Field as he pitches to contact. It’s believed that the Reds would want young pitching back in return for Arroyo. They have said to have liked Mets farmhand Jeurys Familia as they like his upside and potential.
So again we look at the stats.
- According to Cot's Baseball Contracts Arroyo is owed: 2010:$11M, 11:$11M club option ($2M buyout)
- Arroyo is 86-83 for his career with a 4.23 ERA
- He has won 10 games or more 5 out of the last 6 years averaging 13 wins a season
- During those 6 years he has pitched 1256 innings for an average of 209 innings per season including 220 last season. 2004 was the last year that he did not pitch 200 innings.
- During the last 4 years Bronson has averaged 6.5 innings per start
- Last season Arroyo pitched the 4th most innings in the majors with a respectful WHIP of 1.266
Obviously the part about Jeurys Familia scares me. This is a young kid that throws incredibly hard and has a lot of potential. However, Arroyo's numbers are exactly what the Mets need in the rotation behind Santana, an innings eater that throws quality innings as well. At only 13M guaranteed or 22M for 2 years in this market Arroyo is a bargain. Again it all depends on how much the Reds demand in return. So what are you guys willing to give? Please no talk of GMJR and Nick Evans for one of the most consistent SP in the game. If you are going to get Arroyo to solidify our rotation you will have to give to get.