Quick question - Who here remembers those god awful Mets teams from '77 - '83 ? Oh OK quite a few ( that's right except for a minor bump in the mid- late '80's most kids and twenty-somethings are Yankee fans) Then you should remember the player who originally was labeled " Nails" way before a young Lenny Dykstra was old enough hide a copy of business week inside a issue of Juggs. His name was John Stearns and he was " As Tough As Nails" !!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                     John Stearns at the catching ...  (as per wikipedia)John Hardin Stearns was born August 21, 1951 in Denver, Colorado. When John was 17 years old, he was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 13th round of the 1969 Major League Baseball Draft He instead chose to attend the University of Colorado at Boulder . His older brother, Bill, was drafted in the later rounds of the '71 draft and played in the New York Yankees organization. He was also as a catcher, but never reached the majors.In college John became a two-sport star and was drafted as a defensive back by the Buffalo Bills in the 17th round of the 1973 NFL Draft. But he chose baseball instead after he was drafted as the number two overall pick by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 1973 Major League Baseball Draft behind pitcher David Clyde . A little obscure tidbit is that Stearns was drafted just ahead of two eventual Hall of Famers, Robin Yount and Dave Winfield. Stearns was also drafted ahead of Winfield in the NFL draft as the Minnesota Vikings drafted him in the 17th round six picks after the Bills drafted Stearns.Stearns's was assigned to Philadelphia's Eastern League affiliate, the Reading Phillies in 1973, but did he not fare particularly well, batting just .241 in double A. He was sent to the high-A Carolina League's Rocky Mount Phillies for 1974 where he improved drastically. Mid-season, he was promoted directly to the AAA Toledo Mud Hens. He was called up to the Phillies that September, And on September 22, 1974, Stearns made his major league debut, and picked up his first hit, going 1-for-2 off the bench.Stearns'sfirst game with the Philliesturned out to be his last. With catching prospect Bob Boone firmly entrenched behind the plate for Philadelphia, Stearns became expendable. The Phillies struck an off season trade with the New York Mets to acquire ace relief pitcher and New York fan favorite, Tug McGraw on December 3, 1974. In return for McGraw, outfielders Don Hahn and Dave Schneck, the Mets received Stearns, outfielder Del Unser, and relief pitcher Mac Scarce. The trade obviously was not well received by Mets fans , losing possibly the premiere closer in baseball.In 1975 - his first season as a Met, he was used as the backup catcher behind veteran Jerry Grote.   had been the Mets' regular catcher since 1966, including every inning of every postseason game for both the 1969 World Series champions and the 1973 NLCS champions. As Grote's backup, Stearns batted only .189 in 1975.In 1976, Stearns Performedso poorly with limited playing time and was soon replaced in backup duties by lefty hitter Ron Hodges. Stearnswas demoted to the AAA Tidewater Tides where he hit very well while Hodges struggled in the majors. He was recalled to the majors for September and continued his hot hitting. With 18 hits in his first 13 games back. Stearns not only out played Hodges, he took over the starting duties from Grote for most of the remainder of the season.Stearns made his Mets was originally issued the number 16,but for the start of the 1977 season, he and Mets center fielder Lee Mazzilli switched uniform numbers, and Stearns began wearing number 12. After his hot finish to 1976, Stearns was the starting catcher for most of 1977, with Grote and Hodges relegated to backup and pinch-hitting duty. On August 31, 1977, the Mets traded Grote to the Los Angeles Dodgers and John assumed the catching duties full time.With his good mid-season statistics and the Mets firmly in last place in the National League East, Stearns was chosen as the team's sole representative to the All-Star Game, catching the bottom of the ninth inning.His had a abysmal second half batting just .125 average in August and .167 average in September. Although his final statistics were mostly at or below the league average, they looked very good compared to the rest of the team which lost 98 games and had the worst offense in the majors in 1977. His 25 doubles were tops on the team and 12 home runs tied Steve Henderson and John Milner for the team lead. I was five years old at the time but I do remember the infamous game against the Atlanta Braves where Stearns got ticked irritated at the Atlanta Braves mascot, Chief Noc-A-Homa, and chased him off the field before the game.Stearns quickly became a Mets fan favorite for his smash mouthd physical play. On June 30, 1978, the Metsdefeated the Pittsburgh Pirates with Stearnst agging out Dave Parker to end the game. Parker, who had run over two other catchers in the previous two weeks, suffered a broken cheekbone in the collision with Stearns. When the Pirates rivals, the Philadelphia Phillies, next came to New York, they thanked Stearns for standing up to Parker.In 1978. Stearns led the team with a career high 25 stolen bases, and in the process broke the National League record for catchers. As we all know the Mets were again near the bottom of the National League. Because John had a slow start, Stearnswas bypassed for the All-Star team, with Pat Zachary representing the Mets instead. The Metsfinished with a National League-worst 96 losses.Stearns set career highs in games played in 1979, but at age 27, it was his last season with 100 or more games. He also set personal highs in at-bats, hits and doubles. Although he struggled to get above .200, a good June resulted in selection to his second All-Star Game (although he did not play). The Mets   finished 1979 with 99 losses, and 35 games behind the division champion Pittsburgh Pirates. Between 1967 and 1993, no season was worse for the Mets. Well out of contention in the second half, they experimented by playing Stearns at both first base and third base, as well as in the outfield, but he finished out the season back behind the plate.1980 brought a new approach for Stearns, as he completely stopped hitting for power. In fact, he went the entire season without a home run-- but his batting average started to rise. Instead of struggling to stay around .250, his average was mostly between .300 and .320 from early May through the end of June.The football player in Stearns, however, was still evident. On June 12, 1980, two inebriated spectators jumped on to the playing field. While police were unable to catch them, Stearns grew frustrated and ran from behind the plate into left field, tackling and subduing one of them.During the first-ever fireworks night hosted at Shea Stadium on July 4, 1980, Montreal Expos Rookie Bill Gullickson sailed a pitch over Mets first baseman Mike Jorgensen's head in the second game of a doubleheader. Jorgensen didn't appreciate this as he had been the victim of one of the worst beanball injuries in baseball history the previous season with the Texas Rangers, and motioned toward Gullickson his disapproval. Stearns, who wasn't even in the line-up for this game, charged out of the dugout and welcomed Gullickson to the majors by slamming him to the ground.Stearnswas selected to his third All-Star Game and even logged his first All-Star Game at bat, grounding out in the fifth inning. A three-hit, three-RBI game highlighted his July, but just a week later, on July 26, a broken finger on a foul tip ended his season. He was also on pace to hit over 40 doubles, which would have easily been his career high.The injury that ended his 1980 season was the first of several injuries that would plague the rest of his career. Stearnsstarted 1981 the same way he ended 1980: on the disabled list. After missing the first two weeks, he was eased back with pinch-hitting duty and play at first and third base. He finally started catching regularly again in late May and was hitting fairly well, when the 1981 Major League Baseball strike canceled two months of the season starting in mid-June. Play resumed in mid-August and Stearnsfinished with a respectable .271 average, but his run production dropped quite a bit from 1980 and he had only 14 extra base hits all season.1982 appeared to be a return to Stearns's 1980 approach, as his average was again at or above .300 for much of the first half. He was again on pace for around 40 doubles and was even on pace for nearly 30 stolen bases. At age 30, Stearns was picked for his fourthAll-Star Game. He continued hitting well after the break, but after a month, began suffering the effects of elbow tendinitis.He went on the disabled list in mid-August and only made three pinch running appearances the rest of the season.The elbow injury that ended Stearns's1982 season ultimately ended his career. In 1983, he was unable to start the season and was put on the disabled list in mid-April. Unable to throw, he played in only four games, all as a pinch-runner. In 1984, he spent some time with triple A Tidewater and logged only one big league game in the first five months. He was finally well enough to play in September, but only played sporadically. After the season, the Mets traded Hubie Brooks, Mike Fitzgerald, Herm Winningham and Floyd Youmans to the Montreal Expos for Gary Carter. Stearnsbecame a free agent and attempted a comeback withthe Winter League's Ponce Lions, until re-injuring his elbow.[Another comeback with the Cincinnati Reds' AAA Denver Zephyrs in 1985 was going well, until he was hit by a pitch in mid-May Unable to return to the majors, John Stearns retired.Career-ending injuries did not keep Stearns away from baseball for long. In late 1986, he was hired as a scout and minor league instructor by the Milwaukee Brewers In 1989, he was the New York Yankees' bullpen coach. He was then hired by the Toronto Blue Jays as the manager of the AA-level Knoxville Blue Jays for 1990 and 1991, reaching the postseason in the latter season.Stearns spent 1992 as a Cincinnati Reds scout, and 1993 as an ESPN broadcaster. He returned to the Reds as the manager of their Rookie-level team, the Princeton Reds in 1994. The team won the Appalachian League championship and Stearns was named Manager of the Year. Afterwards, Stearns managed the Peoria Javelinas of the Arizona Fall League and won his second minor league championship of the year. Stearns then spent 1996 to 1998 as a scout and first base coach in the Baltimore Orioles organization.In 1999, Stearns returned to the New York Mets as an advance scout. He was then made the Mets' bench coach in 2000. He was dismissed after the season, but re-hired as the third base coach. Younger fans witnessed Stearns's enthusiasm and excitability while he was a Mets coach in 2000. He was wearing a microphone for Fox television when the Mets' Mike Piazza hit a run-scoring double in Game 1 of the 2000 NLCS against the St. Louis Cardinals. Stearns's audible reaction of "The monster is out of the cage!" became a rallying cry for the entire series, which the Mets won four games to one.After two years coaching the major league Mets, Stearns was let go, but hired as a scout for 2002. In 2003, he returned to the dugout as Manager of the Binghamton Mets. Despite a poor record with AA Binghamton, he was made the manager of the AAA Norfolk Tides for 2004. Stearns spent 2005 as a roving catching instructor for the Mets.On January 11, 2006, Stearnscut ties with the Mets, and became a coach in the Washington Nationals farm system. He grabbed the managerial reigns of their triple A affiliate, the Columbus Clippers in 2007, and is currently the manager of the Nationals' double A team, the Harrisburg Senators. Just recently John was hired by the Mets and assigned as a instructor within their minor league system.Stearns and his wife, Marti, have three grown sons, Michael, Maden and Justin.His final career totals were as follows:Games AB Runs Hits 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO HBP Avg. Slg.810 2681 334 696 152 10 46 312 91 51 323 294 25 .260 .341Not bad for a guy who played on some very crappy teams.