Draft And Follow: 7-13-09
- The Kingsport Mets beat the Bristol Sox 10-4 Sunday. 6 players drafted in 2009 played for the K-Mets. P Zachary Von Tersch got the save with 3 scoreless innings. He allowed 3 hits and 2 walks, striking out 1. In the 4th inning RF Darrell Ceciliani walked, stole 2nd and scored. He was hit by a pitch in the 5th and again stole 2nd, his 5th stolen base on the season. He finished the game 0 for 2. C John Freeman walked and scored in the 7th inning, for the game he was 0 for 3. SS Ryan Mollica had a fielder's choice RBI ground out in the 3rd, and later scored. He went 0 for 4, the RBI was his 10th on the season. DH John Semel singled and stole 2nd in the 5th inning, his 5th steal of the year. He finished 2 for 4. CF Ronald Harris singled and scored in the 1st inning, had an RBI single in the 4th and came around to score. He wound up 2 for 4. For more see the box score and recap.
- The Brooklyn Cyclones lost to the Staten Island Yankees 5-3 Sunday. 3 class of '09 members played for Brooklyn. 3B Joseph Bonfe got his 1st start for the Cyclones since being promoted from Kingsport. In the 5th inning he walked and scored. His 7th inning single gave him a 1 for 3 night. 1B Alex Gregory had a 9th inning single to finish 1 for 4. LF Nick Santomauro wound up 0 for 3 with a walk. See the box score and recap for more. Also see the SILive.com game story.
- Sunday the Futures Game was held in St. Louis, site of the 2009 Major League All-Star game. 2 Met prospects were selected for the World Team, SS Wilmer Flores and P Jenrry Mejia. Mejia did not participate. Flores started at 2B and was 0 for 2. For more info on the game check out the game story.
- Flores, who won't turn 18 until August 6th, is in his 2nd year of professional ball. Baseball America considers him the Mets #2 prospect behind Fernando Martinez. In 2008 Flores played for 3 different Met minor league teams, getting the majority of his playing time for the rookie Appalachian League Kingsport Mets. Overall at his 3 stops Flores hit .307, had an OBP of .347 and a SLG of .468 as a 16 year old with 13 doubles, 4 triples, 8 home runs and 42 RBI in 280 at bats. This season with the Savannah Sand Gnats in the A ball South Atlantic League Flores is producing a .280/.319/.353 line in 289 at bats, with 13 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs and 23 RBI while competing with and playing against players whose average age is 21.
- Mejia is the Mets #7 prospect per Baseball America. He will turn 20 October 11th. The average age of his Binghamton teammates is 24. 2009 is his 3rd season in professional baseball. He started this year with St. Lucie of the Advanced A Florida State League and in 9 starts he went 4-1 with a 1.97 ERA and a 1.132 WHIP, allowing 41 hits and 16 walks in 50 1/3 innings pitched. He struck out 44. Mejia was promoted to AA Binghamton where so far he is 0-3 in 4 starts with a 3.74 ERA and a 1.477 WHIP. He has allowed 23 hits and 9 walks 21 2/3 innings with 24 strikeouts. Mejia did not participate in the Futures Game as he is currently on the 7 day disabled list with a strained finger. Tim Teufel has nice things to say about Mejia.