Draft And Follow 7-4-09
- The GCL Astros defeated the GCL Mets 8-4 Friday. 4 members of the 2009 draft class took part. CF Kurt Steinhauer went 1 for 5 from the 3rd spot in the order. C Nelfi Zapata got in the lineup as DH, batting cleanup. He went 1 for 4 with his 2nd double of the season, a walk, and 2 runs scored. Cody Holliday played RF and batted 6th, going 0 for 4 and striking out twice. LF ZeErika Hall batted 9th, going 0 for 3 with a walk and his 1st stolen base of the season. The box score and recap have more information.
- 5 2009 draftees played for the Kingsport Mets in their 4-3 loss to the Burlington Royals. RF Darrell Ceciliani batted 2nd and finished 0 for 4. Ronald Harris batted 3rd as DH and was also 0 for 4. Continuing the trend 3B Joseph Bonfe went 0 for 4 from the cleanup spot, and committed 2 errors, both with the glove, in the field. LF John Semel batted 7th and was 0 for 3 with a walk, and SS Ryan Mollica got the only hit for the 2009 class with a single in 3 at bats from the 9th spot in the order. Also see the game story, box score and recap.
- The Brooklyn Cyclones are 12-2 this season following a dramatic come from behind 3-2 victory at Keyspan Park over the Tri-City ValleyCats. 7 2009 draftees played, and 3 were involved in the decisive 9th inning. 2B James Ewing doubled leading off the 9th and came around to score the tying run. He finished the night 1 for 2 with a walk. Pinch hitter Nick Santomauro singled to drive in the game winning run, making a winner of Lance Hoge who had pitched a scoreless top of the 9th. Other class of '09 players participating were 1B Sam Honeck who went 0 for 3 and LF Alex Gregory who was 1 for 3. Pitcher Wes Wrenn started the game, allowing 1 run on 2 hits with 6 strikeouts over 4 innings, and Darin Gorski threw 4 innings of relief, giving up 1 run on 3 hits and collecting 3 strikeouts. For more check out the box score, recap and game story. The Brooklyn Paper has a game story as well.
- It has been brought to my attention that 2 members of the 2009 draft class that started their professional careers with Brooklyn, pitcher John Church and OF Joseph August, have been assigned to the Savannah Sand Gnats of the South Atlantic League. A tip of the TRDMB cap to Mack's Mets for providing this information. Friday the Gnats lost 5-1 to the Asheville Tourists. Church pitched 2 innings of relief, the 6th and 7th. He allowed 2 runs on 4 hits while recording 3 strikeouts. For more info check out the box score and recap. The Savannah Morning News has the game story.
- Kai Gronauer was not, as a German, subject to the First-Year Player Draft. But I couldn't resist passing on this link to an interesting story about the 22 year old catcher who made his pro debut last year with the GCL Mets.