Draft And Follow 7-8-09
- The Greeneville Astros defeated the Kingsport Mets Tuesday 13-10. 3 pitchers selected in the 2009 draft took the mound. Zachary Von Tersch started for the K-Mets and perhaps wishes he'd called in sick. He gave up 8 runs, 4 earned, on 6 hits and a walk in 1 1/3 innings pitched. The K-Mets committed 3 errors and Von Tersch threw 2 wild pitches as Greeneville scored 3 1st inning runs. Greeneville scored 5 more on 4 hits, a HBP and another Kingsport error in the 2nd inning before Von Tersch was mercifully removed. Brian Needham came on with 1 out, 3 runs in and 2 runners on base in the 4th inning, and quickly got 2 outs to stop the bleeding. He finished with 4 2/3 scoreless innings. With Greeneville leading 11-10, Thomas Chism came on to pitch the 9th and allowed their final 2 runs on 2 walks and 3 hits.
- Position players drafted this June also made their mark on this game. Darrell Ceciliani started in CF and went 0 for 2 before being pinch hit for in the 3rd inning. 3B Joseph Bonfe was 2 for 5 with his 5th double and 2 runs scored. Ryan Mollica started at SS, made 2 errors (his 6th & 7th), then moved to 2B in the top of the 4th where he played error free for the rest of the night. At the plate Mollica was 0 for 2 with 2 runs scored, including 1 on a steal of home in the 4th inning on the front end of a double steal. On the back end of that double steal was Ronald Harris, who went 2 for 5 with 2 runs scored and 2 RBI. Harris started the game in LF and, like Molllica made 2 errors (his 2nd & 3rd), then was moved to CF where he played errorless ball for the balance of the game. RF John Semel was 1 for 4 with a 3rd inning RBI single and a run scored. C John Freeman pinch hit late and struck out, going 0 for 1. For more see the box score and recap.
- As badly as things are going right now for the parent club, things are going well for the Brooklyn Cyclones who are in 1st place with a record of 16-2 after beating the Aberdeen IronBirds 3-2 Tuesday. Class of '09 pitcher Brandon Sage picked up his 1st save of the season with a scoreless 9th. 1B Sam Honeck went 1 for 4, and LF Nick Santomauro was 1 for 2 with a walk and a run scored. See the game story, box score and recap for more.
- The Savannah Sand Gnats defeated the Greenville Drive 5-1. 2009 draftee Joseph August started in LF, moved to CF in the 8th, and unlike his position changing organization mates in Kingsport, he did not make any errors. At the plate he was 1 for 4 with a single. Check out the box score and recap for more.
- The GCL Mets had the night off.