OK, this was the post where I was supposed to give you my uber-scientific projections about the Mets reserves - those lucky few who get to ride the bench, and fill in (sometimes permanently) for injured starters. But there were three problems.
- It was too depressing to project .230 batting averages (or less - I'm looking at you Mike Nickeas) for every player...
- Not enough readers probably care...
- And who knows exactly who will start the year on the bench?
So, instead of stat projections, let's take a closer look at #3, and project who will actually fill a reserve role for the Mets (hitters, not pitchers). The candidates fall into several categories:The Locks:Will Make the Team Unless Rob Johnson or Lucas May Start Hitting Like Albert Pujols:Will Make the Team as Long as He's Healthy:Will Make the Team as Long as Scott Hairston's Not Healthy:And yes, one of them will make the team anyway. Right now Baxter's having the best spring.Will Make the Team if He Can Play Center Field:
Will Make the Team if Andres Torres isn't Ready on Opening Day:
- Jordany Valdespin (he made 32 errors at SS last year - why not try him at a new position?)
- Adam Loewen
- Mike Baxter
- Lee Mazzilli
- Mookie Wilson
- Willie Mays
- Matt den Dekker (he'll be overmatched by MLB pitching, but he's the best defensive center fielder - the Mets have said they want good defense in CF)
My prediction for Opening Day (assuming a 12-man pitching staff):
- den Dekker
How about your predictions? Who do you think will be on the Mets bench on Opening Day?