Tonight, the Mets begin a three-game series with the Cubs at Ciri Field. First pitch is at 7:10.Since we last left the Cubbies, they have played... surprisingly better. They took three against the Astros (is that an accomplishment?) and also played well against Atlanta in a four-game set.These are the same old Cubbies, however. They're towards the bottom in baseball in every major offensive category, and their pitching isn't much better.Hopefully the Mets can get their revenge this weekend against the team that took two of three from them last week and head into the All-Star break with momentum in their favor.Pitching Matchups:Game 1- Tonight 7:10Johan Santana
(6-4, 2.76 ERA) vs. Travis Wood
(3-3, 3.05 ERA)Game 2- Saturday 4:10Dillon Gee
(5-7, 4.34 ERA) vs. Jeff Samardzija
(6-7, 4.77 ERA)Game 3- Sunday 1:10Jonathon Niese
(7-3, 3.35 ERA) vs. Chris Volstad
(0-7, 7.94 ERA)Notes:
- Andres Torres has a back problem and could miss some time in this series.
- The Cubs through 81 games were on a pace to finish the season 62-100.
- The Cubs' starter for Sunday is currently Chris Volstad, but that could change. Ryan Dempster, the Cubs' ace, is on the DL, but is begging his manager to start him on Sunday. Dempster, 35, has a 2.11 ERA in 81 innings this season.
- Volstad has been really, really bad. He hasn't made it past the sixth inning all season and hasn't allowed less than three runs in a start since his first outing of the season. In his last start against the Braves, Volstad lasted just 4.1 innings and allowed six runs on seven hits.
- SNY will have the call the whole weekend. No FOX. No ESPN. :)