The Mets begin a three-game set with the Cubs in Chicaco tonight at 8:05
The Cubs have been the worst team in baseball this season. Their .333 winning percentage is the worst in the MLB, and they are a team full of under-performing, overpaid veterans. This team's so bad, it's only a matter of time before the team is broken up by Theo Epstein.The Cubs best player this season has clearly been Starlin Castro. Castro is having a breakout year at shortstop, hitting .308 with 38 RBI and 16 stolen bases. He has quickly cemented his status as a cornerstone of the Cubs franchise. He may be one of the few players not on the market for the Cubs as the trade deadline approachesHere is a look at the pitching matchups:Game 1- Tonight 8:05Johan Santana
(5-3, 3.00 ERA) vs. Travis Wood
(1-3, 4.14 ERA)Game 2- Tuesday 8:05Dillon Gee
(5-5, 4.27 ERA) vs. Randy Wells
(1-2, 4.91 ERA)Game 3- Wednesday 2:20Jonathon Niese
(5-3, 3.75 ERA) vs. Jeff Samardzija
(5-6, 4.34 ERA)Notes:
- The Cubs will be without Ryan Dempster, who went on the DL last week with a tight right lat. He was 3-3 with a 2.11 ERA.
- If you missed the flurry of Mets roster moves last night, here they are.
- Johan Santana bounced back after two bad outings with six shutout innings against the Orioles in his last start. He seems to be back to normal.
- The Cubs are a very weak offensive team. Their 264 runs is 27th in baseball. They also have a .301 ob-base percentage, 28th in baseball. Their biggest power threat may be Bryan LaHair, who has 13 home runs this year, and hit 40 between Triple-A and the big league club last year.
- The pitching staff isn't much better. As you can see in the pitching matchups, the rotation hasn't been good this year, but the bullpen has been awful as well. Their bullpen's ERA is much better than the Mets' but it's still 26th in baseball at 4.49.The 1.55 WHIP as a bullpen is 29th in baseball.
- Unless the Mets bullpen is heavily used in this series, the Mets should have an easy time taking care of the MLB-worst Cubs. But it's baseball and this is the Mets so anything can happen.