Perhaps my first mistake today, or at least my second mistake after getting out of bed, was tuning my radio dial to WFAN 660 AM
in New York.The Mets are the hot topic on their flagship station, and caller after caller is expressing the opinion that Omar Minaya
is 'to blame' and specifically he is 'to blame' for the fact that Ramon "The Error Machine" Martinez
is starting at SS for the Mets.When hosts such as Adam "The Bull" Gerstenhaber
or Steve "The Schmooze" Somers
point out that both Jose Reyes
and Alex Cora
are, unfortunately, injured simultaneously, these callers all have the same response: 'he (Omar) should have got a back up to the back up.'
My questions for you oh vast reading audience are these:
- Are these callers sane, rational human beings?
- Do they actually follow the sport called Major League Baseball?
- Can they tell me who the back up to the back up should be?
- Do they know who the back up to the back up is on the other 29 teams?
- A. Are they familiar with the name Cody Ransom, and B. is he considered a back up or a back up to the back up?
Thank you, I feel much better.