Look, I understand that there was no way in hell that our Mets were going to get Javier Vasquez, but when the Washington Nationals are making more noise than us it raises alot of questions about how aggressive this organization is this off season. So I have compiled my own set of questions . Please feel free to give me your answers , opinions, rants and diatribes.
1. I know there is still 2 months until pitchers and catchers, but where is the new blood that is supposed to make this a " championship caliber team " again ?
2. In regards to the Jason Marquis signing ( he was never my first choice obviously), Why is there a perception that this front office can't multitask ? I mean we have the three headed hydra of Omar Minaya, John Riccio and Wayne Krisky, you would thing that Omar could negotiate with the offensive players ( i.e Jason Bay, Bengie Molina etc) while Krisky could handle the negotiations with pitchers and Riccio can fine tune the fine print on the contracts.
3. Is being overly patient a bad thing?
4.Is Fernando Martinez part of this teams future and if the answer is no why haven't we offered him in any trades for big name players
?5. Does ownership want a mass defection of fans to the Yankees
?6. Has anyone re-upped their season tickets?
7. Will the Mets starts drafting and paying over slot
?8. Will the Mets impose a deadline on Jason Bay and Bengie Molina , or is the front office satisfied with twisting in the wind?
9. R.A Dickey - are you kidding me?!?
10. Omar , Jeff are you listening
" Well !?! Were waiting
!!!!" Okay I admit that I am getting frustrated but I think my concerns are valid .And with that said - HERE COMES THE INFAMY
!!!!!!Happy Birthday wishes go out to power hitting first baseman from the '63-'64 season -Tim Harkness is 72 (1937).I loved seeing him in the '63 Mets yearbook show , too bad he never stuck with the Mets.
One of the best Mets pitchers that ever lived - Jerry "Kooz
" Koosman is 65 (1942) . Please retire his number already !!!
Much maligned current Mets manager ( for now
) Jerry Manuel is 56 (1953) .One time rookie prospect Tim Leary is 51 (1958). He had a great fastball, too bad Joe Torre pitched him during a cold April in 1980 and he blew his arm out and was never the same
.Middle reliever from the late '90's - '02 - Rick White is 41(1968) .Seattle Mariners signed catcher Mackey" Double Clutch
" Sasser of the New York Mets as a free agent on December 23, 1992. I loved Sassers bat , but he couldn't throw out Mo Vaughn trying to steal third base
!New York Mets signed free agent catcher Todd " Tank
" Pratt on December 23, 1996. Who could forget that game winning home run against the Diamond Backs in the '99 NLCS. Who could forgive him for being on the Mitchell Report
.New York Mets signed free agent utility infielder Craig Paquette of the Kansas City Royals on December 23, 1997.New York Mets traded outfielder Roger CedeÃ±o, pitcher Octavio Dotel and Kyle Kessel to the Houston Astros for starting pitcher Mike Hampton and Derek Bell on December 23, 1999. This was definitely one of the best trades in Mets history !! To bad they low balled Hampton and he decided that the Colorado school system (and the 120 million dollar contract that he got ) were alot more attractive.
Texas Rangers signed spot starter/ middle reliever Mike Bacsik of the New York Mets as a free agent on December 23, 2003.New York Mets signed free agent reliever Juan Padilla on December 23, 2004.And don't despair my fellow Mets fans because there are only 103 gut wrenching more days until the Mets open the 2010 season against the Florida Marlins at Citi Field